Throwing a Party to Share Chinese Resources with Fellow Parents
A Recipe in 10 Steps
1. Connect with parents who know a few resources well (such as Pleco, Skritter, 5QChannel, and books).
2. Choose your group: kindergarten, one grade, or across several grades.
3. Decide which questions you’d like to address:
- How do I help my child read for 10 minutes a day?
- How do I help my child improve character recognition?
- How do I help my child study for weekly tests?
- How does my child look up unfamiliar characters?
- How do I help my child hear native speakers?
- How can my child enjoy Chinese during free time?
4. Find a location large enough for your group.
5. Invite a special guest (such as a local professor who studies biliteracy) to spice up the event.
6. Prepare a short overview presentation for each resource.
7. Allow an hour for small-group tutorials and free conversation.
8. Regroup for comments and Q&A.
9. Add wine, cheese, and desserts, and mix well.